Water is essential to each of us every day. But it’s a limited resource, so we all need to rethink the way we use water on a daily basis.
Are YOU a water saver? Take this short test and see:
Water – Use It Wisely – Home Water Audit
By following these water-saving tips inside your home, you can help save water every day, whether or not California is in a drought:
- Use the washing machine for full loads only to save water and energy
- Install a water-efficient clothes washer (see below for links to water-efficient appliances)
- Run the dishwasher only when full to save water and energy.
- Install a water- and energy-efficient dishwasher (see below)
- Install aerators on the kitchen faucet to reduce flows to less than 1 gallon per minute.
- Install low-flow showerheads. (Free low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators are available at the Russian River Utility office, 7131 Mirabel Road in Forestville, across from the fire station.)
- Take five minute showers instead of 10 minute showers.
- Fill the bathtub halfway or less.
- Install a high-efficiency toilet.
- Install aerators on bathroom faucets.
- Turn water off when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Don’t use the toilet as wastebasket.
The links below can help you to find water-conserving plumbing fixtures and appliances: